Friday, August 20, 2004

If my Blog falls on the Net and no one's there to read it, did I really Blog?

Okay, so I am fairly new to Blogging, but I gotta ask myself, Why am I doing this? I mean, how many people are actually going to read this. I've been cruising through random Blogs and have found that most hardly get any hits, and fewer receive any comments. So why do we all do this?

I am sure there are all sorts of reasons. It's free. It's fun. It's a diary that won't kill trees. Because my friends do it. I can't speak for everyone, but here are a few thoughts about (maybe) why I do it.

I think, like most people, I want to be heard. Even if no one ever reads it, knowing that my thoughts and ideas are available for millions of people worldwide to read, is exciting, even comforting. Add to that the ability to say WHATEVER you want, as anonymity or false identity is as available as you imagination, there is a sense of daring freedom, free from the risk of censorship or judgment. While the first part of that reason (being "heard") is true, the last half is not, as I choose to reveal who I really am (or do I?).

In addition to wanting to be heard is my sense that what I have say is worth hearing. Here is where it gets sticky. Is this pride? Is this vain self-indulgence to assume that, with the millions of people out there wanting their voices heard, that what I think is worth hearing? I guess it all depends on what I have to say and how I say it. So, let's take a look.

For the most part all I have is shared my opinion on a few movies. Sure, this multi-billion dollar industry warrants some attention, but my reflections aren't so profound that they are "must read" material. In defense/balance from one review, I did talk about citizenship & identity, but not with any real depth. I've promoted a series of books that I doubt anyone will take the time to read.

Why I am I doing it then? And perhaps more importantly, as I ask this question, why am I writing it in a Blog? While Bill Clinton said it is the worst reason to do anything, I guess it comes down to this- because I can. Oh well...

1 Comments:

Blogger Raven said...

When I first started Blogging I asked my self the same questions. In a sea of Blogs how will mine be seen? Why does it need to be seen? I am not sure of the answers to these questions, but I will give you my opinion. Find some bloggers who share a similar outlook on life and comment in their blog they will usually go to yours and check it out. Then if they link to you others will check it out.

Personally I use my blog for clarity and to satisfy the mental voyeurs. Alot of people read but don't comment. Get a site meter and track whats going on.

Sorry this comment is as long as your post. :(

12:17 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home