Wednesday, September 22, 2004

"Wimbledon" (2004) - Richard Loncaine

While not a big fan of sports movies, I decided to go see "Wimbledon" with my wife this past weekend. I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised with what I saw. Don't get me wrong, this will not win any awards, but Loncaine manages to help viewer get inside the head of professional level athletes- specifically, tennis players.

The only distraction, in my opinion, was a rushed romance between the main character, a British has-been tennis star (Paul Bettany) and a fiery American fast rising star (Kirsten Dunst). While the romance needed to be present, the speed at which a casual pre-game shag becomes a powerful romance is just too much, even for Hollywood.

However, if you can get past this, you will find a fascinating look into the world of professional tennis, with all its warts and wonders. Perhaps not necessarily worth the full theatre ticket price, it is worth a matinee or new release DVD rental.

Not great, but not bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home